TRACY, Calif. – July 6, 2017 – California cow’s milk processors that use the Real California Cheese and Milk seals brought home 68 awards from the 2017 annual cheese competition held by California State Fair, in Sacramento. Cheesemaker – Pt. Reyes Farmstead Cheese was nominated as Best of Show Cow’s Milk Cheese and Best of California Cow’s Milk Cheese during the annual event. Two cheesemakers – Bellwether Farms, LLC and Fiscalini Cheese Co., were nominated as Best of California Cow’s Milk Cheese.
California cow’s milk cheeses that use the Real California seals won 19 first-place, 32 second- place and 17 third-place awards in this year’s judging. Highlights from these wins include:
- Bellwether Farms, LLC, Valley Ford, 1st for Crème Fraiche, Cultured Cheese – Crème Fraiche
- California Dairies Inc., Visalia, 2nd for Real Cream Cheese, Soft Cheese – Cream Cheese
- Fiscalini Cheese Co., Modesto, 1st for Bandage Wrapped Cheddar, Semi-Hard Cheese –Aged Cheddar
- Joseph Gallo Farms, Awater, 2nd for Mozzarella, Semi-Soft Cheese – Pasta Filata
- Marin French Cheese Co., Petaluma, 1st for Petite Cendrée, Semi-Soft Cheese – WhiteSurface Mold – Brie
- Marquez Brothers International, Inc., Hanford, 1st for Queso Oaxaca, Semi-Soft Cheese –Hispanic Style
- Nicasio Valley Cheese Co., San Rafael, 1st for Locarno, Semi-Soft Cheese – WhiteSurface Mold – Open
- Orland Farmstead Creamery, Orland, 2nd for Ricottage, California Originals – Cow Milk
- Point Reyes Farmstead, Point Reyes, 1st for Point Reyes Bay Blue, Semi-Soft Cheese – Blue Veined Cheese
- Queso Salazar, Brentwood, 2nd for Queso Fresco, Semi-Soft Cheese – Hispanic Style
- Sierra Nevada Cheese Company, Willows, 1st for Organic Traditional Jack Cheese, Semi-Hard Cheese – Monterey Jack
- Stuyt Dairy Farmstead Cheese Co., Escalon, 1st for Habanero Gouda Cheese, Semi-HardCheese – Open Category
California dairy means real food from real people. Consumers can look for the Real California Milk and Cheese seals on dairy brands throughout the U.S. These seals ensure they are made with 100 percent milk produced by more than 1,300 Real California dairy farm families.
For more information on California State Fair Commercial Cheese Competition, go to: http://www.castatefair.org/california-commercial-cheese/.